5 things to know about the new driver’s license requirements


Real ID will also be required to enter federal facilities or to visit military bases.

LOCAL: Dayton expects first day of October at 90 degrees for over a century

2. Where can I get the compliant ID.

The correct identity document replaces the standard driver’s license. When renewing a license at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, consumers can request the Real ID. Both cost the same.

Anyone looking for the actual ID should be prepared for the proper documents when visiting BMV.

3. Minors traveling with a parent who has a real ID card do not need theirs.

Unaccompanied minors, however, need a compliant card, or a standard card with other federally approved documents, to fly commercially.

4. October 1, 2020 is the vital date.

As of October 1, 2020, Ohio driver’s licenses or identification cards issued before July 2, 2018 will not be accepted by the Transportation Security Administration. This is the date that a valid piece of identification must be on hand to take a commercial flight and enter federal facilities.

Cards take approximately 10 days to ship to the consumer’s home after going to BMV, but may take longer. Anyone attempting to fly on October 1 should make sure to get the compliant card well in advance of that date in case there are any delays in the delivery of the card.

RELATED: Local Farmer Is Part of Group Working to Maintain Relationships with Chinese Buyers

5. Compliant ID requires additional documentation at the Office of Motor Vehicles

To obtain a true identity, consumers need documents proving their identity, including their full legal name, date of birth, social security number, two documents proving their residency in Ohio, proof of legal presence and a proof of name change.

The name change can be proven by a marriage license or certificate, a divorce, dissolution or annulment judgment, or a certified copy of a court-ordered name change.

A list of acceptable documents and the six requirements they prove can be found here.

A common combination includes a birth certificate, one of the above documents showing the name change if different from the name shown on the birth certificate, a W-2 salary and tax statement, and another document proving residence, such as insurance policy, bank statement, income tax. filing statement, Ohio BMV postcard, or letter from college or university.

Instead of a W-2, a Social Security card can be used to display an SSN. If you are using a social security card, two documents proving the address will be required.


•PHOTOS: Local smart home with spa, treehouse on the market for almost $ 4 million

• Tornado resistant houses with a safe in preparation for Trotwood

• The construction of a center for the elderly should begin on the former Rollandia golf center.

• Forever 21 could close 178 stores in bankruptcy

• Area trees and crops struggle as drought conditions continue


Leave A Reply