Food safety at fairs and festivals – licensing requirements | News, Sports, Jobs


With the lifting of major epidemic ordinances on July 1, the Western Upper Peninsula Health Department (WUPHD) is planning the resumption of many summer festivals, fairs, community events and July 4 celebrations. WUPHD would like to take this opportunity to remind event organizers that a temporary food license is required to serve food to the public at these events.

A temporary food service license is required in almost all instances where organizations and individuals serve food or drink to the public, including festivals, community picnics, and religious, charitable, or fraternal organizations preparing food. food for profit or fundraising. Temporary food licenses protect public health by ensuring that food served to the public is properly stored, prepared and served using safe food handling techniques. The Michigan Food Act governs all food establishment licenses in Michigan. A license is required even if the organization is non-profit and food is provided free of charge.

Food license applications can be picked up at any health department office or can be viewed online at Requests should be submitted at least five days prior to the event to avoid additional late fees. The license is issued by the health service on the day of the event.

As the cases of COVID-19 in our region continue to decline, WUPHD wishes to remind the public to be diligent in preventing the transmission of the disease. If you are unwell, have symptoms of illness, or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19, please stay home and do not attend rallies or public events. WUPHD also wants to encourage those who have not yet been vaccinated to get vaccinated against COVID-19. The vaccine is readily available and you can make an appointment for the vaccination at or by contacting your health care provider.

The latest news today and more in your inbox


Leave A Reply